Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia (GBM) calls upon the Federal Government to withdraw the Amendment Bill to Sedition Act rather than table it in Dewan Negara. If the Government is adamant to table it, all patriots in Dewan Negara must be present and vote against it.
Standing firm with various civil society groups opposing the bill, GBM condemns in the strongest term the bill which severely curbs civil and political liberties of Malaysians, making our nation’s independence hollow.
GBM asks, how do we celebrate Merdeka if our forefathers and mothers enjoyed more civil and political liberties under the British colonial government than we do today?
The Sedition Act was enacted in 1948 in response to the communist insurgency but was made harsher first by the 1970 amendment and would be even draconian if the 2015 amendment comes to force.
The 2015 amendment poses a grave threat to Malaysians’ freedom in two main ways.
Firstly, the net is cast much wider:
(a) the amendment to Section 10 and the addition of Section 10A, impose restrictions on online publication which may include social media
(b) the amendment to Section 3(1)(e) and 3(2)(c)(ii) inserts the word “hatred” in addition to the word “ill will” or “hostility” in the original Act and also an additional reference to religion in addition to the reference of race and class in the original Act.
(c) The addition of Section 4(1A) which criminalises seditious publications“[leading] to bodily injury and damage to property”, disregarding if such acts of violence are carried out by parties who agree or disagree to the opinion expressed.
Secondly, the punishments are made harsher:
(a) the amendment to Section 4(1) imposes minimum sentence of 3 years imprisonment upon conviction and eliminates the alternative of fine, with no consideration for young offenders, first time offenders or nature of the offence;
(b) the addition of Section 5A obliges the judge to allow the prosecution’s application for restriction on travel for the accused on bail;
(c) the deletion of Section 6 which currently provides for reasonable ground for acquittal of the accused and demands larger effort by the prosecution to prove their case.
The fundamental flaw of the Sedition Act is it disregards intention and hence does not differentiate between agitation of violence and provocation of violence. As the accusation of provocation can be easily made, violence may be effectively encouraged by parties who want to blame others for provocation.
A teenager may be jailed for three years three years for sharing a Facebook posting and or retweeting a tweet if another party who causes bodily injury or property damage and accuses her of provoking.
Instead of promoting social harmony, the Sedition Act risks fostering impunity of violence and encouraging “politics of amok”.
GBM sees the hasty passing of the Amendment to Sedition Act at the wee hours of 2.30 am of 10 April as an utterly irresponsible act of arrogance and tyranny by the Executive.
GBM condemns in the strongest words the 108 parliamentarians who could not wait to destroy our constitutional freedom, censures the 35 absentee parliamentarians who could not be bothered to vote against the bill and 79 real patriots who stand firm to defend the meaning of our independence.
20 April 2015
Muslim Professionals Forum (MPF)
We refer to the protest by some 50 residents in Taman Medan over the display of a cross on a newly minted church.
This mindless act of hatred and incitement against another religion’s place of worship has no place in Islam and deserves unreserved condemnation.
Islam is rich with examples of respect for other faiths, their adherents and protection of their places of worship.
Let us take heed from the best of examples, the prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him. In a well documented incident, the Prophet received a delegation of sixty Christians from Yemen at his mosque in Madina. They were led by a bishop, Abu Haritha ibn Alqamam, a well respected authority on Christianity. When the time for their prayer came, they faced the direction of east and prayed. Some Muslims out of ignorance protested but the Prophet ordered that they be left in their state and not harmed.
Yet another famed example is that of Umar ibn Al-Khattabb, the second righteous caliph. During his reign the religious freedom of the citizens of Ilya (Jerusalem) and the sanctity of their synagogues and places of worship were confirmed: “This is the protection which the slave-servant of Allah, Umar, the Commander of the Believers, extends to the people of Ilya: The safeguarding of their lives, properties, churches, crosses, and of their entire community. Their churches cannot be occupied, demolished, or damaged, nor are their crosses or anything belonging to them to be touched. They will never be forced to abandon their religion, nor will they be oppressed …” (At-Tabari, Tarikh, Vol III, p. 609, ed. Dar Al-Ma`arif, Egypt.)
It is evident that there is no room in Islam for intolerance towards other faiths and their places of worship and any form of disrespect and desecration is antithetical to the essence of Islam. We urge the authorities to take firm action against the said protestors.
Malaysia is a beautifully plural and diverse nation and we call on all to enforce our respect for one another and their beliefs.
We end with the following all embracing verse.
O mankind! Indeed, We created you from a male and a female and We made you nations and tribes that you may know one another. Al Hujurat 49:13
Let us put an end to all enmity and hatred and get to know one another.
Board of Directors
20hb April 2015
Kenyataan Akhbar Forum Profesional Muslim (MPF)
Kami rujuk kepada tunjuk perasaan yang diadakan oleh sejumlah kira-kira 50 orang penduduk Taman Medan yang membantah paparan tanda salib di sebuah gereja yang baru sahaja ditubuhkan secara rasmi.
Tindakan yang merupakan cubaan sengaja menimbulkan kebencian dan tentangan terhadap rumah suci sebuah agama lain sedemikian sama sekali tidak wajar dan tiada tempat dalam agama Islam, malah wajar dikecam sekeras-kerasnya.
Agama Islam cukup kaya dengan pelbagai contoh teladan yang jelas dalam menghormati agama-agama lain, penganut-penganutnya, malah tuntutan untuk bertanggungjawab dalam melindungi tempat-tempat ibadat mereka.
Pengajaran yang terbaik dan paling jelas tentulah daripada junjungan Nabi Muhammad SAW sendiri. Dalam riwayat yang tercatit luas, baginda Rasulullah SAW pada suatu ketika telah menerima kehadiran rombongan 60 orang Kristian dari Yemen di Masjid Nabawi di Madinah. Rombongan terbabit diketuai seorang biskop, Abu Haritha ibn Alqamam, seorang alim yang disegani oleh masyarakat Kristian pada waktu itu. Tibanya waktu solat, mereka bersembahyang dengan berkiblatkan arah timur. Beberapa orang Islam ketika itu bangkit menunjukkan rasa tidak puas hati namun telah ditegah oleh baginda Rasulullah SAW. Mereka diarahkan oleh Baginda untuk membiarkan golongan Kristian terbabit dalam keadaan sedemikian dan tidak diancam.
Satu lagi contoh jelas merupakan khalifah agung Islam yang kedua Sayyidina Umar ibn Al-Khattab RA di mana kebebasan beragama penduduk-penduduk di Ilya (Jerusalem) dan kesucian sinagoga beserta rumah-rumah ibadat mereka cukup jelas terpelihara di bawah pemerintahannya; “Inilah perlindungan yang dipanjangkan oleh hamba Allah, Umar, Khalifah kepada orang-orang beriman, kepada penduduk-penduduk Ilya: yakni perlindungan terhadap nyawa-nyawa, harta-harta, gereja-gereja, salib-salib, dan seluruh kabilah mereka. Gereja-gereja mereka tidak boleh dirampas, dijatuhkan, mahupun dibinasakan, juga tidak ada salib-salib mereka mahupun apa sahaja barangan kepunyaan mereka yang boleh disentuh. Mereka tidak akan sama sekali dipaksa meninggalkan kepercayaan mereka atau pun ditindas…” (At-Tabari, Tarikh, Jilid III, ms. 609, ed. Dar Al-Ma`arif, Mesir.)
Hal ini menjadi bukti bahawa tiada tempat dalam Islam untuk ketidaktoleransian terhadap agama-agama lain dan rumah-rumah ibadat mereka. Sebarang bentuk kebiadapan atau penghinaan terhadap mereka begitu bertentangan sekali dengan initipati ajaran Islam. Kami mendesak pihak berkuasa untuk mengambil tindakan tegas terhadap penunjuk-penunjuk perasaan ini.
Malaysia merupakan sebuah negara yang cukup cantik dalam kemajmukan dan kepelbagaiannya. Kami menggesa semua pihak untuk meneguhkan lagi sifat hormat-menghormati di antara yang berlainan kepercayaan dengan kita.
Kami sudahkan dengan kalimah daripada Al Quran yang cukup meluas dan mendalam maksudnya, seperti berikut:
Wahai umat manusia! Sesungguhnya Kami telah menciptakan kamu dari lelaki dan perempuan, dan Kami telah menjadikan kamu berbagai bangsa dan bersuku puak, supaya kamu berkenal-kenalan (dan beramah mesra antara satu dengan yang lain). Sesungguhnya semulia-mulia kamu di sisi Allah ialah orang yang lebih taqwanya di antara kamu, (bukan yang lebih keturunan atau bangsanya). Sesungguhnya Allah Maha Mengetahui, lagi Maha Mendalam PengetahuanNya (akan keadaan dan amalan kamu). (Al Hujurat 49:13)
Marilah sama-sama kita menoktahkan segala bentuk permusuhan sesama kita dan berusaha untuk lebih kenal-mengenali di antara satu sama lain.
Adopt a Hafiz project Year III.
Yearly summer Tahfiz camp since 2012.
MPF & Aqsa Syarif & VPM & Darul Quran Wa Sunnah (DQWS)
Accounts for Camp 2014
Balance brought forward to 2015 :
A short clip of VPM’s signature micro finance project in Hebron, West Bank.
This was done in collaboration with PGPF.
The entrepreneurial spirit of these Palestinians ladies is simply breath taking. See the excitement & joy on their faces.
Let’s together do more to help these women!
22 January 2015
HE Ban Ki-Moon
Secretary General of the United Nations
NY 10017 USA
Save Al-Quds Global Campaign Malaysia
Memorandum to the United Nations
Save Al-Quds Global Campaign Malaysia, a coalition of 27 NGOs in Malaysia in collaboration with our international partners would like to urgently draw your attention to the extremely dangerous and volatile developments in Al-Quds.
Save Al-Quds Global Campaign Malaysia reaffirms that:
1. Al-Aqsa mosque in Baitul Maqdis (al-Quds), also known as Jerusalem is the third holiest site in Islam and is located in the old city.
2. Al-Quds, historically is the only site in the world which is home to the three great monotheistic teachings, Judaism, Christianity and Islam.
3. The United Nations (UN) defines Al-Aqsa as being in Palestinian Occupied Territory and should protect its security and sanctity.
Save Al-Quds Global Campaign Malaysia notes alarmingly that:
1. The Israeli Occupying Forces (IOF) had repeatedly stormed the compound and occupied Al Aqsa Mosque.
2. The blatant and unlawful use of firearms in the mosque had resulted in outbreaks of fire with damages to the carpets, mosaic works and various structures of the mosque.
3. The IOF controlled the gates of the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, prohibited Muslims from entering and escorted Israeli religious and political extremists inside the compound.
4. Illegitimate excavations occurring beneath Al-Aqsa Mosque is further weakening its foundations, distorting its history and is being used as a synagogue.
5. All these illegal activities are consistent with Israel’s policy of “Judaisation”; a racist policy aimed towards eliminating everything non-Jewish in the Holy Land.
Save Al-Quds Global Campaign Malaysia urges the United Nations to:
1. Step up its international obligation to ensure peace and security in the Palestinian Occupied Territories and the sanctity of Al-Aqsa Mosque and all the holy sites in Jerusalem.
2. Stop Israel’s violations and intrusions against Al-Aqsa Mosque which if left unchecked will escalate into another major crisis threatening peace and security in the whole world.
3. To end the occupation of all Palestinian Occupied Territories and to compel Israel to allow full access to all the Palestinians worshipers to Al-Aqsa Mosque and all the holy sites in Jerusalem.
4. To enforce all resolutions passed by the United Nations in relation to Palestinian Occupied Territories.
1. Al-Quds Foundation Malaysia (QFM)
2. Angkatan Belia Islam Malaysia (ABIM)
3. Aqsa Syarif
4. Majlis Perundingan Pertubuhan Islam Malaysia (MAPIM)
5. Viva Palestina Malaysia (VPM)
6. Palestinian Cultural Organization Malaysia (PCOM)
7. Yayasan Restu
8. Pertubuhan Himpunan Lepasan Institusi Pendidikan Malaysia (HALUAN)
9. AMAN Palestin
10. Aman Malaysia
11. Perdana Global Peace Foundation (PGPF)
12. Yayasan Amal
13. Muslim Care
14. Cakna Palestin
15. Global Peace Malaysia (GPM)
16. Pertubuhan Pemuda GEMA Malaysia (GEMA)
17. Sekretariat Himpunan Ulama Rantau Asia (SHURA)
18. Persatuan Kebangsaan Pelajar Islam Malaysia (PKPIM)
19. Palestinian Students Association
20. Kesatuan Ulama’ Sedunia (Cawangan Malaysia)
21. Wadah Pencerdasan Umat Malaysia (WADAH)
22. Palestine Center of Excellence (PACE)
23. IKRAM SISWA
24. Malaysian Life for SYRIA (MLL4S)
25. Rose to Rose (R2R)
26. Global March to Jerusalem (GMJ)
The Health Authority has conducted a detailed investigation on the Adverse Effects cases in Columbia.
The official report has not been released but the conclusion has been picked up by Columbian newspapers and translated as “Vaccine is not to be blamed”
The authority has conducted rigorous technical analysis and drawn a conclusion.
“There was no causal association between qHPV and any of the more than 600 cases of girls attending to ER with a variety of very unspecific symptomatology.”
21 Jan 2015
Salam, Peace & Blessings.
Some of you may have received an SMS blast from “anonymous” regarding the Adverse Effects of Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) vaccine in Columbia. This person urged parents not to give their consent for HPV vaccination offered by the Ministry of Health (MOH) Malaysia which has been part of our National Immunisation Program (NIP) since 2010.
The Columbian news is old news published in August 2014 about alleged adverse events in some girls who received HPV vaccine, as part of Colombia’s NIP. There was much speculation in the media about the cause of the adverse effects.
Before we address the “safety allegations”, it is useful to remind ourselves that:-
· Cervical cancer is the third most common cancer in Malaysia.
· 8.7 million women over the age of 15 in Malaysia are at risk.
· About 6 women are diagnosed with cervical cancer every day.
· Many present at an advanced stage of the disease when the outcome is poor
· Half of them die from the disease
· Almost all cases of cervical cancer are caused by HPV
Worldwide Health Authorities Recommendations on EFFICACY & SAFETY of HPV Vaccine:-
· HPV vaccine is the result of more than 10 years of research and development.
· Its efficacy was established in clinical trials involving more than 25,000 females and males.
· Several real-world outcome studies have supported the efficacy data from the clinical trials.
· Outcome studies in several countries showed a significant reduction in the prevalence of HPV infection and cervical lesions which preceded cancer, following HPV vaccination, thus protecting girls from cervical cancer.
· HPV vaccines have an excellent safety profile.
· Safety has continued to be evaluated in several large post-licensure surveillance studies in more than 500,000 people following administration.
· In March 2014, the WHO’s Global Advisory Committee on Vaccine Safety (GACVS) stated that they have not found any safety issue that would alter any of the current recommendations for the use of HPV vaccines, and reaffirmed the favorable benefit-risk profile of HPV vaccines.
· GACVS reiterated “allegations of harm from vaccination based on weak evidence can lead to real harm when, as a result, safe and effective vaccines cease to be used.”
· While no vaccine or medicine is completely without risk, leading international health organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO), the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Health Canada, the European Medicines Agency (EMA), the Australia Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA), have continued to recommend the use of HPV vaccines.
· You are also kindly referred to “Hukum Pengambilan Vaksin Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) – JAKIM, 2012:123-125” following the Muzakarah Jawatankuasa Fatwa Majlis Kebangsaan Bagi Hal Ehwal Ugama Islam Malaysia which met in Melaka from 15 – 17 December 2010.
· “Muzakarah bersetuju memutuskan bahawa pengambilan Vaksin Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) yang telah dipastikan tiada unsur meragukan dalam kandungannya dan tidak mendatangkan kemudharatan adalah diharuskan bagi mencegah penyakit kanser pangkal rahim (servik) di kalangan wanita.”
Dato’ Dr Musa Mohd Nordin
Chairman, Federation of Islamic Medical Associations (FIMA) Advisory Council
Board Member, Malaysian Pediatric Association (MPA) Immunise4life www.ifl.my
Board Member, Muslim Professionals Forum www.mpf.org.my
Al Quds International Institution General Manager, Mr. Yassine Hammoud, revealed ongoing calls held by the Institution to coordinate efforts among Islamic and Arab bodies and organizations to launch an international campaign in support of Jerusalem.
Hammoud said that the Institution is organizing a consultative meeting which brings together officials and representatives of bodies concerned with the issue of Jerusalem from different countries, including Turkey, Malaysia, Jordan, Lebanon and Kuwait.
Hammoud reiterated that the escalating Israeli assault against the Jerusalemites and the holy sites in the occupied city requires strengthening and coordinating efforts to form a security network that would embrace the popular uprising in Jerusalem.
Hammoud called on Palestinian factions and forces to pursue complementary steps that serve the unifying issue of Jerusalem. He also called on the Palestinians in the West Bank to defy any restrictions and bear the responsibility in supporting the Jerusalemites against the ongoing crimes of the occupation.
Hammoud stressed that the vacuum caused by the weak official Arab and Islamic stance should be filled by grassroots, civil and popular organizations.