Media Statement For Immediate Release
Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia (GBM) Calls for Immediate Cessation of the Massacre in Egypt
16 August, 2013
GBM calls on all Malaysians to condemn in the strongest possible way the massacre of innocent civilians in the latest violence unleashed on opponents of the illegitimate government of Egypt.
We deplore the international community’s apathy and silence on the coup d’état and earlier killings which has led to this round of horrific killings.
The failure of the international community to uphold the basic tenets of democracy and human rights in Egypt has been directly responsible for this bloody massacre.
The role of some nations in the west and the petro-monarchies of the Gulf who have bankrolled this military carnage deserve special condemnation.
Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia (GBM) urges:
All nations and people who believe in free and fair elections and the legitimacy that democracy brings, to rally in support of the opponents of the military regime in Egypt and to help bring about the restoration of democracy. The killings to be stopped immediately and the Army to return to the military barracks. The democratically elected president to be reinstated immediately. The parliament and elected lawmakers to immediately re-assume their legislative duties to uphold the sanctity of the Egyptian constitution.
Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia (GBM) calls upon the Malaysian government to:
Condemn the military carnage in Egypt and call for the cessation of killings and atrocities against peaceful protestors. Denounce the coup d’etat and the illegitimate government and urge the reinstatement of the democratically elected president and lawmakers. Influence the Organization of Islamic Countries (OIC) to review Egypt’s membership. Urge the UN Security Council to expedite international efforts to end the massacre.
Issued by the Executive Council of Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia
**Note: GBM comprises of the following 25 civil society organisation members:
- Kuala Lumpur & Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH) 吉隆坡暨雪兰莪中华大会堂
- Aliran 国民醒觉运动
- Tamil Foundation 淡米尔基金会
- Pertubuhan IKRAM Malaysia (IKRAM) 马来西亚回教革新理事会
- Majlis Perundingan Malaysia Agama Buddha; Krisitian; Hindu; Sikh dan Tao (MPMA-BKHST) 马来西亚五大宗教理事会
- Negeri Sembilan Chinese Assembly Hall (NSCAH) 森美兰中华大会堂
- Penang Chinese Town Hall (PGCTH) 槟城华人大会堂
- The Federation of Chinese Associations Johore State (FCAJ) 柔佛中华总会
- Lim Lian Geok Cultural Development Centre (LLG)林连玉基金
- United Chinese School Alumni Associations of Malaysia (UCSAAM) 马来西亚华校校友会联合会总会
- Muslim Professionals Forum (MPF) 穆斯林专业论坛
- Suara Rakyat Malaysia (SUARAM) 人民之声
- Pusat Komunikasi Masyarakat (KOMAS) 社区传播中心
- Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia (SABM) 马来西亚之子
- Persatuan Masyarakat Selangor dan Wilayah Persekutuan (Permas) 雪隆社区协会
- National Indian Rights Action Team (NIAT) 全国印裔权益行动组织
- People’s Green Coalition (PGC) 马来西亚人民绿色联盟
- Anak Muda Sarawak (AMS)砂拉越青年之子
- All Women’s Action Society (AWAM) 妇女行动协会
- Partners in Community Organising (Pacos Trust) 沙巴社区伙伴信托组织
- Persatuan Bekas Siswazah Universiti dan Kolej di China, Malaysia (Liu-Hua) 马来西亚留华同学会
- Nanyang University Alumni Malaya (Nanda) 马来亚南大校友会
- Japan Graduates Association, Malaysia (JAGAM) 马来西亚留日同学会
- Gabungan Persatuan Alumni Universiti Taiwan Malaysia (GPAUTM) 马来西亚留台校友会联合总会
- Islamic Renaissance Front (IRF) 回教复兴前线组织